1970-1980 Overview

The 1971 FA Cup final between Arsenal and Liverpool was a thriller. Liverpool scored at the beginning of extra time, however Eddie Kelly equalized and Charlie George scored the elusive winner. Skipper Frank McLintock collected the FA Cup after being four times on the losing side, twice with Leicester and twice with Arsenal.

The following season, Leeds won the Centenary FA Cup final, beating Arsenal 1-0. The following year Sunderland became the first second division team to win the FA Cup since West Brom in 1931. The Rockerites 1-0 victory over Leeds United was a triumph both for scorer Ian Porterfield and goal keeper Jim Montgomery, who made a legendary double save, however most of all it was a coup for new manager Bob Stokoe.

The 1975 all London FA Cup final between Fulham and West Ham was full of the romance of the FA Cup. Fulham were at Wembley for the first time and boasted a strong team including ex- England stars Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery in their line up. The Hammers won 2-0, both goals coming from Alan Taylor, a 21 year old striker they had signed from Rochdale only seven months earlier. The 1976 FA Cup was something for firsts, a fourth division club (Bradford City) reached the quarter finals for the first time, and a third division outfit (Crystal palace) reached the Semi Finals for the first time and a second division side won the trophy!

Southampton upset the odds by triumphing over Manchester United; a goal by Bobby stokes giving the Saints their first major trophy and a memorable victory. The 1977 witnessed Manchester united reach the final once again, this time they beat Liverpool in a match that was decided by a freakish goal. In 1978, Ipswich Town narrowly missed being relegated, but, to the joy of their fans, they won the FA Cup. A goal by Roger Osbourne, who pounced on a Willie Young error, was enough to defeat Arsenal. Arsenal won the 1979 FA Cup final after a thrilling 3-2 victory over Manchester United, but not before their third round tie with third division Sheffield Wednesday had lasted nine hours and went on to four replays.

The excitement of the 1980 FA Cup began in the semi finals in a semi final match between the league champions Liverpool and Arsenal. Arsenal eventually won the tie 1-0 however it took four replay matches to separate the two sides. Arsenal lost the final at the hands of West ham, going down to a single headed goal by Trevor Brooking. It was the third time in eight years that the cup had gone to a second division team.

Previous post:

Next post: